Developmental Disability Services
Pioneer Center for Human Services is the leader in McHenry County in services for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Our vision is to empower individuals to achieve their full potential where they live, learn, work and play.
We offer a wide range of training and vocational services to persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities. These services help individuals with disabilities find community employment and gain greater independence and quality of life through participation in community- and facility-based social, recreational, and vocational activities. Our programs, based on an individual’s needs, range from coaching to more intensive levels of support.
What Are Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities?
People with intellectual and developmental disabilities can be challenged with language, mobility, learning and independent living.
Pioneer Center helps people with intellectual and developmental disabilities such as:
- Autism spectrum disorders, a group of developmental disabilities that can cause significant social, communication and behavioral challenges.
- Autism, a disorder of neural development is what most people think of when hearing the word “autism.”
- Cerebral palsy, a group of disorders that affect a person’s ability to move and to maintain balance and posture.
- Developmental delay, a delay in reaching key developmental milestones, such as talking, crawling, walking or rolling.
- Down syndrome, a condition in which a baby is born with an extra chromosome.
- Intellectual disability, a disorder characterized by limits to a person’s ability to learn as expected.
- Muscular dystrophy, a group of inherited, degenerative muscle disorders where muscles become weaker over time.
- Speech and language disorders, a group of disorders characterized by problems with communication and related areas such as oral-motor function.
Through skills training, housing options and employment services, Pioneer Center helps adults with disabilities live empowered lives. We work to discover strengths and interests and then help individuals realize their goals and dreams—achieving their full potential.